Back to School time is right around the corner. It's time to start thinking about getting those supplies! For those heading off to college, it's time to think about how you are going to style that boring dorm room.
Your dorm room is a great way to express your style. But you don't want to spend a ton of money on something that will only be up for a year. Here's a list of 5 ways to personalize your space without breaking the bank.
1. Buy a bundle - save a bundle! Places like roomify.com offer great dorm room bundles. These bundles cover your bedding, linens, and a few fun extras like hampers, dishes, or even lamps. Select your bundle and your colors and they deliver it all to you in one box. There are multiple packages to choose from or you can buy items a la carte. They even offer discount codes. Right now you can save $30 using MOVEINREADY.
2. Message central. Personalize a bulletin board to use for messages, trinkets, and snaps of your favorite peeps. Buying a piece of cork or burlap board can be very inexpensive. Then just personalize it with a scrap of your favorite fabric or even a pattern you can print out on paper. There are tons of DIY cork board ideas on Pinterest.
3. Favor the floor. Anchor your dorm room with a fun rug! There are a lot of awesome rugs out there and they look better than that dingy dorm room carpet. Layer your own rug over the existing flooring and bring in a punch of personality. You can get a lot of good looking but inexpensive rugs from places like Target, Wayfair, or even Big Lots. A rug is something you can always use again when you move.
4. Windows to the World. Removable wallpaper is a great solution to open up that small space. There are so many colors and patterns to choose from when it comes to removable wallpaper. You can create and accent wall or even use it to cover those plain brown drawer fronts on the dorm furniture. Another option is removable wall art. Places like wall26.com even have peel and stick posters. For just $19.99 you can get a window scene that is beautiful and it will help open up the space! You can choose from ocean scenes, animals, or even world travel destinations.
5. IKEA, IKEA, IKEA. They offer a huge variety of fun, colorful storage boxes including file storage and desk organizers. These items are less than $5.00! Grab some other necessities while you're there. From bedding, to lighting, to desk chairs, and rugs you can find some really good buys at IKEA. These are all things you can re-purpose when you move on to your first apartment.
I hope these suggestions turn out great for you. Enjoy the rest of the summer and have a great school year!
Click here for my article on Super smart ways to organize back-to-school clutter.
Cover Photo: Roomify.com
Disclaimer: There are no affiliate links in this post. From time to time I will use affiliate links which means I get a small commission at no additional expense to you.